Here are some sites which you will need to know about for the next two years:
TEXTBOOK
1. The Enjoyment of Music site - I will be giving you homework from here, so register with your code from the textbook. It's also fantastic for study for exams, or researching your additional topic.
SHEET MUSIC
2. imslp - this is where you will find pdfs of just about any classical sheet music you want - provided it's out of copyright (over 75 years old). Amazingly, you can also find incredibly rare things like scans of original manuscripts of all of Bach's works etc. Anytime you need sheet music stop by this site first.
3. cpdl - has free sheet music of a huge amount of vocal and choral music - some in midi and sibelius format, which makes it easy for arrangements and using for examples in your research.
4. con library - the best place to find sheet music, performing repertoire for your instrument, CDs and books on music - $50 a year to join and borrow everything you need. or you can just go there and photocopy stuff. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by Mr Bone.
MUSIC TO LISTEN TO (LEGALLY)
When I was your age (groan....) and I wanted to listen to something, I used to catch the train to the city, go to the record shop, spend half an hour trying to find it on the shelf with no luck, ask the shop assistant who may or may not have had a clue what I was on about, who would then peer at microscopic print in a big phonebook-like catalogue detailing all available recordings of a piece, before informing me that I could order the CD (which I only wanted for one piece that was 5 minutes long) in from Germany for $45 but it would take 3 months to arrive. I would wait 5 months and get a phonecall from the record shop and I would come in, buy the CD for $48 and take it home, before discovering the shop assistant made a mistake and it was the sonata in D major instead of D minor. The next day I would catch a train to the city.......
Fortunately these days it's a lot easier. You don't even have to download mp3s from itunes for $1.69 anymore. Here are some ways to listen to unlimited music, some free, some with a small fee:
5. Grooveshark - free but has ads, and is sometimes hard to search for things because all the content is user-uploaded. You can find a lot here but it doesn't have that much obscure classical stuff. You can get it on your phone if you have an android phone.
6. Spotify - free but has ads (sometimes they delay you listening to the track and you can't skip them). Huge amount of music, including lots of classical and obscure stuff. You can pay $7 a month to get rid of ads or $12 a month to have it on your phone. Links into facebook and lets you see what your friends are listening to.
7. Rdio - I use this myself. you need to pay to use it. $9 unlimited music or $13 a month to have it on your phone. Huge amount of music and very easy to use.
there are also others like JB hifi, bigpond, sony music unlimited etc. i encourage you to use these and find out about new music every day.
MUSIC 2 SPECIFIC
8. Board of studies stuff:
Music 2 syllabus, Music 2 standards (actual examples of past Music 2 papers, performances and compositions with marks and comments they received) and HSC past papers (note that you can't get the audio for these).
9. Music HSC online - lots of tips for performing, composing, musicology and aural.
FOR MUSICOLOGY
10. Allmusic - very good introductory info for a huge amount of composers and works across all styles of music
11. BBC 3 Discovering Music - vast number of free streaming documentary videos about classical compositions
MUSIC THEORY AND AURAL
12. musictheory.net - heaps of stuff here. You can get it as a phone app too.
13. wikibooks music theory - mostly pretty good!
14. Mr Bone's playlists on Grooveshark - lots of examples, divided by concepts of music
Don't trust everything on the internet!
No comments:
Post a Comment